Jump to Navigation
Jump to Content

Resolving Pension Disputes in the UK

In the United Kingdom individuals who have problems, complaints or disputes relating to their retirement benefits can contact The Pensions Advisory Service. TPAS is an independent non-profit organization that provides information and guidance to pension participants on the whole range of retirement plans, including employer-provided pensions, the state pension, and individual retirement savings accounts. TPAS provides free assistance.

The Pensions Advisory Service provides an arbitration framework.for diputes. To receive its help, individuals must first attempt to resolve the dispute by writing the plan or financial institution involved in the dispute. TPAS is staffed with volunteers who have professional experience in the pension industry.

If the dispute involves a pension and is not resolved with the help of TPAS, the Pensions Ombudsman, who is a government official, will investigate and decide the complaint or dispute. The Pensions Ombudsman's decision is final and binding on all the parties to the complaint or dispute. His decision can only be changed by appealing to the appropriate court. The Financial Ombudsman resolves complaints about the sales and marketing of individual account pension plans. The Ombudsman of the Board of the Pension Protection Fund can handle disputes concerning the Pension Protection Fund, which is the government agency that insures defined benefit pensions, similar to the U.S. Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) replaced the Occupational Pension Advisory Service (OPAS)

For further information about The Pensions Advisory Service.

For further information about the pension ombudsman and the ombudsman of the Pension Protection Fund.