Information Center

How Well-Funded is Your Pension Plan?


Thanks to the Pension Protection Act of 2006, people covered by a traditional defined-benefit pension plan should now receive a pension funding notice every year, which gives workers an idea of how well-funded their plan is. However, if a funding notice is not available, it is possible to get a rough idea of the financial health of a plan by checking its Form 5500.

Private pension plans are required to file a financial report called a Form 5500 every year with the federal government. The Form 5500 provides information regarding the plan’s financial condition, investments, and operations.

If you are a participant in a private pension plan, you have the legal right to request the most recent Form 5500 from your plan administrator. Participants can also find a less recent copy of the Form 5500 on a web site called

Once you’ve gotten the Form 5500, follow these steps to determine the funded status of your plan:

  1. Look for the form’s “Schedule B — Actuarial Information.”
  2. Find line 2(a), which is labeled Current Value of the Assets.  This column notes the total value of assets owned by the pension plan.
  3. Find line 2b(4), the total benefits column.  This column shows the total amount the plan owes in benefits.

If the amount in line 2b(4) is less than the amount in line 2(a), your plan is overfunded. If the amount in line 2b(4) is more than the amount in line 2(a), your plan is underfunded.

< Back

Sign up to receive updates from us:

Do you want to stay up to date on the latest retirement news and recent happenings at PRC?

Sign up to receive emails from us:

Click here >

Support the Pension Rights Center:

In today’s challenging pension environment, our work is more important than ever. Your contribution will help make it possible for the Center to continue its crucial role as a national consumer organization committed to protecting and promoting retirement security.

Donate >